Facts about Townsend
• Townsend is known as "The Peaceful Side of the Smokies".
• Townsend was known at Tuckaleechee Cove prior to 1900.
• In the early 1900s, Townsend was a lumbering town.
• Townsend is named after Wilson B. Townsend.
• In 1900, the Little River Lumber Company was established in Townsend.
• In order to log the rugged terrain now known as Great Smoky Mountains National Park and move the logs to the mill, the lumber company established the Little River Railroad.
• Townsend is a major portal to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
• Townsend is the closest portal to Cades Cove, a popular and scenic area in the national park.